Sunday, July 3, 2016

Summer Ops Session

Like many model railroaders, I tend to work on small, isolated projects during the summer if I can find some free time.  I usually try to finishup any large projects for the KLR in early May, as I know that my time becomes spent more and more with yard work, maybe some railfanning and other summertime recreational activities.  By about the 1st of June, engines have been put away and I start making a list of upcoming projects that I'll start as soon as the cooler months roll around.

However, one of my local friends now finds himself splitting his time between northeast Ohio in the late spring to early fall, and Arizona the remaining months.  Before his move, op sessions on the Ontario Central were held at various times throughout the year.  Now the op sessions are once per month, starting in June.  While it may not be the traditional time for operating a model railroad layout, it does make for a nice diversion from yard work. The last op session I attended was very small in attendance, with only one other regular operator present.  However, it turned out to be a great session, as we were both able to run our trains and we simply did away with a time clock.

Pulling loaded boxcars from the warehouse

Arrival of the paper mill turn...it's going to be a busy day for the crew


I chose the paper mill turn, which is a train I have run before.  I really enjoy this train, as it gives me ideas on how I might switch out my own paper mill. It usually takes about 2.5-3 hours to get to the paper mill and do all of the switching. It's one of those jobs that keeps you very busy, and you don't actually realize the amount of time which has elapsed, as your having that much fine doing it.  And isn't that what model railroading should be all about? So thanks Bram for holding the summer op sessions, and I look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment