Saturday, October 27, 2018

Upgrading the Lighting

For several months I've been following the various discussions on the MRH website about new ways to light a layout.  So let's take a step back and say that the KLR was originally designed using a combination of track and rope lighting.  Track lighting to cover the upper level (back when the rail way was a two-level adventure) and rope lighting for the lower level.  Track lighting certainly lights up the layout, however, the initial costs were high, as I had to run one track over the center of each module and most modules required 1-2 lamps per section, which is fairly pricey when the average lighting can runs about $10 USD.  Now add on the costs for special adapters to turn the tracks 90 degrees, add extensions, etc. and the system quickly becomes pricey.  Add to it that the cost of bulbs (which burn out fairly quickly, especially when you forget to turn the master switch off and everyone coming to the basement is turning the entire system on).

When I added the paper mill and Muskoka Lumber island, I used regular florescent lighting from a system that I had salvaged from a job site long ago.  Re-purposed yes but again not the best system as tubes tended to wiggle free and lose proper contact with traffic on the floor above, making it always questionable whether light would be present when you flipped that switch.

The last lighting used was the "rope" lighting found prominently in Christmas displays.  A bargain when bought on sale after the holidays, but mounting has its own challenges and I never quite liked the yellow-ness of the lighting in spite of them being white ropes.  So this was the first lighting to be removed.

On my layout, I've figured that I have around 100 linear feet to light. At 1 track light can per each 36", that meant that a minimum of 8 lights on my longest section.  All told, I think that I've bought 20 some cans of varying sizes.  Over the years I've switched from small 60-watt incandescent bulbs to 25 watt or lower LED bulbs.  I've also tried a few halogen bulbs, however they're pricey and really not well suited for this task.  
Enter my new favorite, the LED strip light. Weighing in at practically nothing and looking more like a strip of tiny bumps, the LED light strip comes conveniently packaged in a 10 meter rolled "tape" strip, set on a plastic spool.  Of course a transformer was also needed to take the 110 volt power to what is usable for the strip.  One strip operates on about 12 volts DC at around 1 amp or so of power, produces no heat to speak of and costs only $20 bucks (or LESS) a roll! And if that weren't enough, it even comes with a nice bit of self-adhesive on the back side so you can just peel-n-stick it practically anywhere you want it.  All I had to add was a strip of cabinetry molding to allow the lights to be slightly pointed downward and the job was complete.  Though truthfully the sticky tape part isn't really that good and you'll probably want to make other arrangements to hang it. For my layout I went back to the old tried and true hot glue gun and laid a small bead of glue about every 12 inches.

LED lighting installed on the back side of drop down valance over the island modules. Skyline in background is another set of modules along the wall


I'd say the project took me all of a few hours to install around my island section of modules and I'm very pleased with the results.  Definitely the next materials I will use when I re-wire the modules when we move to a new location.

No comments:

Post a Comment